The intended use of the AMSE includes the following:
1. It standardizes your clinical examination, charting and documentation of a patient's autistic signs and symptoms.
2. Score cutoffs (≥ 5) can support your clinical judgment that a patient has ASD.
3. It is not for use by patients. It should be administered only by a health professional.
4. The AMSE is not intended to diagnose people with ASD. Instead, it is meant to support an expert's clinical diagnosis when a patient is suspected of having ASD.
5. The published psychometric properties of the AMSE are based on studies that took place recently at The Seaver Autism Center at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York. Multi-center validation is in progress.